Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Need to vent...

So as you can read from the previous post, Delilah is sick with RSV leading to bronchiolitis, and possibly the start of pneumonia, with an ear infection to top it all off. So she gets antibiotics once a day. Then one nebulizer is twice a day and then one every four hours. The frustrating part is the nebulizers don't help with the wheezing much. Since she has an ear infection, and a possibility of the start of pneumonia, we can't risk suppressing her immune system with steroids. However, we discovered that even though she is wheezing and sometimes working really hard to breath she can maintain her oxygen saturation, so the nebulizers are doing something. So I got up with her every four hours and then today she wanted to nurse every two hours, needed suction every two hours on top of all the other stuff. So low an behold what did I wake up with this morning, yep a huge headache, sore throat and runny nose. Imagine that, I am around a very contagious baby and then lack of sleep, yeah RSV! It has made today a very difficult day. I am exhausted, feel horrible, and to make matters worse I have to see and hear just a very sick baby. She struggles so hard sometimes to breathe and cry. She hates her treatments. She HATES having her nose suctioned. I just really do not know how other parents find the strength to get through times like these. Absolutely nothing is getting done around the house, and I admit that some of that is because I sleep or I relax playing Mario Kart but if I didn't do those I think someone would be checking me into the loony bin right now. I guess the good news is that I can't work right now. With me having RSV, probably, I can't risk going in a nd taking care of sick babies. But instead I am not getting a break from a sick cranky baby who doesn't feel good and every time she cries it breaks my heart a little to hear how pathetic and weak she is. If any one has suggestions on how to cope please let me know.

1 comment:

The Odvody's said...

So sorry for poor Delilah...we had the RSV/bronchiolitis/ear infection thing last month & I know how HORRIBLE it is, so I feel your pain. I know the worst is watching her suffer and feeling like you are not doing enough for her. Love her up- your a great momma and you'll make it! How many more weeks until summer?